Saturday, November 18, 2006

3 Weeks...

Well I have been here for just over 3 weeks and am settling nicely into my new schedule; I'm sure it will be rearranged often. As it stands I am tutoring 3 Jr. High students weekday mornings, taking Spanish lessons three times a week, and teaching English three times a week. I also spend two evenings a week with three young children. The children actually have quite a sad story...they were abandoned by both their father and mother. It's amazing how God has protected these children; they are now currently living with a very kind young woman. I enjoy spending time with them; it is nice to spoil them a little as they have had a rough start in life. The other day we went to a place called Chamche. There they have zoo animals and a place to swim. The water is actually from a spring in the mountain, and is absolutely freezing!!! I thought I could handle it as I am Canadian, but my toes were turning purple, so I only stayed in for about an hour. The kids loved it even though they were shaking. Thankfully it was about 27 degrees out.

The Spanish lessons are going well though I can understand more than I can speak. I'm really eager to learn because I'm growing tired of feeling like an infant...unable to communicate. At the beginning of January I'll be moving into a small house with two or three of the local teachers; then I'll truly have to try out my Spanish skills. Hopefully by January I'll have a working vocabulary and not make too much of a fool of myself...though it's inevitable so I might as well accept it.

The weather here has been mainly rainy, and I'm grateful for all the zip-up sweaters I brought. My hair has taken on a life of it's own that even the strongest hair gel couldn't compete with ;) The people here are all very kind and I do feel comfortable, though I can't shake the deep feeling of loneliness from missing my family. I'm truly looking forward to a visit from my sister in February; it will be nice to have a piece of home here.

I hope all is well you, I am so thankful for all your prayers and support...it means so much to me :) I am praying for you also that God may continue to bless you.

Hugs and Smiles,

~Mariah~

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad your settling into the Spanish language. It is a pretty language isn't it?
We all miss you too boo!
and they'll all miss you when you leave, so enjoy the time you have with your new "family". We'll be right here when you get back.
OXOXOX
mom

10:06 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

We're so glad that you're here Mariah! Even if you did try and poison Zaak with the rancid mint chocolate:) He lived to tell the tale so all's well. It looks like a cold week so I'm thinking coffee/tea/ho chocolate at the Granja sometime soon...are you in? I'll make you order in Spanish so you can practice, are you on the restaurant lesson yet?

10:31 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I meant hot chocolate:)

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you so much! February is so far away!

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home