Monday, December 18, 2006

Run For Your Lives!!!

I woke up yesterday morning with a jolting fear. It was 5:30 in the morning and a resounding bang echoed in the air, followed by ambulance sirens and a loud voice booming over a speaker. The voice, in Spanish of course, was shouting something I could not understand. I lay in bed as my heart was pounding and my mind was reeling with questions of what was going on. If I were presently in the Middle East, I would be hiding for fear of being harmed. I eventually fell back asleep with the subtle comfort that the other house members did not seem greatly alarmed. I later learned it was nothing more than an anniversary celebration for a local bank. They will definitely not be receiving any business from me!!! It appears to be very customary to drive up and down the streets blaring announcements over giant speakers. It is definitely a distinguishing feature of Central America and would cause a great uproar of complaint if it were attempted in North America.

I thank God that I am blessed to be in a peaceful country and protected from the battles humans wage upon one another.

4 Comments:

Blogger Marta said...

Poor you :).My husband would be agreeing with you about the noise in Central America. I donĀ“t know if they are setting off a lot of fireworks there in Guatemala, but here in Nicaragua you hear them every night and early morning. I recommend a good pair of earplugs for holiday times, especially in Nicaragua (only for those not used to the noise).

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Between roosters, dogs, trucks, taxi's horns, and fireworks, it's amazing that you can hear the blaring advertisements from slow moving vans.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Between roosters, dogs, trucks, taxi's horns, and fireworks, it's amazing that you can hear the blaring advertisements from slow moving vans.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Between roosters, dogs, trucks, taxi's horns, and fireworks, it's amazing that you can hear the blaring advertisements from slow moving vans.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home