Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Passing The Time

Being as there are a sufficient lack of outlets in which to be entertained (no television, computer games, Tim Hortons down the street) I have taken to reading. As a child I detested the thought of being cooped up in my room with my nose buried in a book, when there was a whole world of adventure outside. Why read about someone else’s adventures when I could experience plenty of my own?

As we all know the excitements of childlike discovery sometimes fades with an increased understanding of the world. We also discover that we do not necessarily have the means to travel to far off places, to climb the hills in Middle Earth, or to become stranded on a deserted island. Thus, our imaginations are relied upon to experience the impossible.

It all began when my father (practically having to force me to read) handed me a copy of A Wrinkle in Time, from that point on I enjoyed delving into creative minds of others. Though my shelves at home are lined with books just waiting to be cracked, as a university student I did not have the time to read anything other then Psychology books, and painfully dull Economics textbooks.

As I am now in the land void of many entertainment outlets, and do not desire to spend every spare moment creating lesson plans for my students, I have (as mentioned before) taken to reading. I recently finished The Count of Monte Cristo (unabridged version) which is by far the best fictional novel I have read in a very long time. The writing is elegant and takes the reader through a maze of interconnected characters and events. I will not say more, as I recommend you read this exciting adventure for yourself. I will say however, that I postponed finishing it for a long period of time as I did not want it to end. I find It is always sad to turn the last pages of a very enjoyable book.

Last night Amber gave me another book to read, called The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I finished reading it the very next day (I couldn’t put it down). This book is actually the authors memoir, and relays her life experiences in the style of a novel. I was reminded once again of my own childhood adventures and sense of discovery. Of how exciting it was to come across an animal bone yard, to find our way through a wheat field that towered over our heads, and to explore the old barns on my aunties farm.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
~Albert Einstein~

1 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

I LOVED A Wrinkle in Time! Have you also read the other books in the series; a Wind in the Door and A Swiftly Tilting Planet are the titles I think. Get Tureena to bring them for you. Although they are more for youth you'll probably read them too fast:) And you still need to read The Chronicles of Narnia right?

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home